The perfect fall/winter salad! This beetroot goat cheese salad is one of our favs for every day eating, or for a quick and easy recipe to whip up when you’re in a hurry or want something easy for stress free dinner entertaining!
Hey guys, happy Thursday!
I’m so happy to be back blogging this week! Especially when I get to give you guys a terrific, easy and stress free salad!
I really think fall/winter salads are underrated. To me, summer is prime salad time, but I love being able to maintain a healthy(ish) diet during the winter.
I often get caught up on stews, soups and warming, comfort food, I often forget just how delicious and comforting a good, hearty roast vegetable salad can be, or in this case a roasted beetroot goat cheese salad!
Salads can be such a bore sometimes, but I’m making a stance.
NO MORE BORING SALADS!
or SALADS THAT LEAVE YOU HUNGRY 10 MINUTES AFTER YOU EAT THEM #thestruggleisreal.
I’ll stop yelling now.
I’ve actually made quite a few different versions of this salad before, both on the blog (omg back when I knew nothing about lighting, ugh I think I need to update those photos!), and generally just when I need something quick to make.
We had friends around for dinner on Sunday and I needed a quick recipe that I could organise earlier, so I could just throw it together when they arrived.
It’s that simple!
I did my prep earlier in the day by roasting the beets and cooking the Israeli cous cous and all I had to do was to throw everything together with a bit of balsamic glaze when they arrived! Voila! So easy!
There is something so delicious about the flavour combinations of this salad!
You’ve got the peppery taste of the arugula, combined with the sweetness of the beetroot, the tanginess of the goat cheese and which is all cut through with the sharpness of the baslamic glaze. Add some extra crunch with the walnuts and you’ve got yourself a solid salad!
- 4 medium sized beetroots, roughly diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups of arugula/rocket
- 1 4oz block of goat cheese
- 1 cup of Israeli cous cous (note 1)
- 1¼ cups of water
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- balsamic glaze for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Place beetroots on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven 20-25 minutes, or until soft and crunchy.
- Remove and cool.
- Place water, lemon juice, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium size saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and add cous cous.
- Simmer cous cous 8-10 minutes, or until water is absorbed and cous cous is al dente.
- Fluff with a fork to break up the cous cous and set aside. (note 2)
- Place arugula in a salad bowl.
- Top with cous cous, and beetroot.
- Crumbled goat cheese over top and sprinkle over walnuts.
- Drizzle over a generous amount of balsamic glaze
- Serve and enjoy!
note 2 - the cous cous may clump together, but don't worry about it as the balsamic reduction and the process of mixing the salad will help break it up. This step can be done prior to serving, however the cous cous will clump even more. it won't change the taste of the salad at all, you just may have larger chunks of cous cous!
So tell me! What’s your favourite fall or winter salad? And I’d love to see you create this beetroot goat cheese salad!! Tag me on instagram @thehomecookskitchen so I can see your creations!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on instagram, facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on pinterest!