This beetroot lentil salad is so simple, and packed full of the good stuff!
We love this beetroot lentil salad. It is perfect for winter and summer.
Being on the other side of the world at the moment has its pros and cons. We are sometimes super envious of our friends back in Perth who are currently enjoying beautiful warm summers with long days, beach sessions and sundowners, however we get to enjoy snow, snowboarding, warm winter salads, comfort food.
Winter however does mean that we tend to perhaps neglect a few aspects of our lifestyle. We haven’t exercised for a while other than snowboarding and yoga and probably tend to indulge more on the foods that we probably shouldn’t.
While we know there are ‘no excuses’, pretty sure dragging our butts outside for a run when its below 0 degrees celsius (32F) is not the easiest thing to do, especially when Adam works from 6am to 5pm and doesn’t see the daylight!
So in the interest of not gaining too much weight before we move to a town that has a gym, we are trying our best to eat as healthy as possible.
This means packing as many veggies and proteins into our diets as possible, and reducing the amount of sugar and saturated fats in our diets. This is why we love having hearty, yet healthy winter salads and our beetroot and lentil salad is perfect for a cold winter’s night.
- Good handful spinach or mix lettuce leaves
- 1 can brown lentil, rinsed and drained (note 1)
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 1 beetroot, diced
- good handful of walnuts
- half a block of feta (roughly 50-80g)
- balsamic vinegar for dressing
- Preheat oven to 420F/210C
- Peel and dice beetroot. Toss in a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool
- Place lentils, onion, beetroot in salad bowl and toss with spinach/lettuce
- Add walnunts and feta and toss with a little balsamic vinegar (note 2)
note 2 - This salad can be made to taste and to how many people you need to serve. Add more ingredients if you want to serve more or have leftovers