Spicy, comforting and the perfect brunch meal, our harissa baked eggs will knock your socks off!
Harissa this, harissa that, I feel like I have done everything harissa lately, and I just can’t get enough of it! This spice is so versatile, perfect to add to any Middle Eastern dish to jazz it up!
I decided the other day that we needed to utilize our cast iron pan more often. Since we bought it, we’ve only used it twice which is pretty pathetic! I think that I’ve always been a little apprehensive to use it, I never had one until now, so never really knew what to put in it!
We have so many other kitchen items that we use all the time, yet the poor little cast iron pot seems to get left over. Until now!
Inspired by an extra hour one Sunday morning (daylight saving ended) and the need to use up a bunch of ingredients in the fridge Adam decided that this was the perfect time to trial something new, and thus our harissa baked eggs was born.
This recipe is easy to make, requires simple ingredients most likely already found in your pantry, and will give you a perfect little breakfast for two people. Paired with a coffee or a green smoothie, our baked eggs will definitely keep you fuller for longer!
The harissa adds an extra bit of zing to jazz up your ordinary eggs, and this recipe is so versatile that you can add really whatever you’d like.
Some suggestion we have are:
- black olives
- cous cous
We were going to add half a can of chickpeas to ours, but I didn’t think we had any. Only to realise hours later that they were staring me in the face in the pantry the whole time.
Does anyone else ever do that? Adam does it all the time.
‘George! I can’t find my…. never mind it was here all the time’ – it drives me crazy!
But we got there in the end, and ended up with a delicious, easy and oh so comforting Middle Eastern breakfast!
So save your cast iron from a live left stuck in the back of the cupboard and get on board!!!
- ½ brown onion finely diced
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes finely diced
- 1 tablespoon harissa spice
- 2 pinches of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 3 eggs
- crusty bread to serve
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over low to medium heat.
- Add onions, sauté 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes.
- Stir tomatoes, then add the 4 tablespoons of water
- Add spices, salt and pepper and simmer a further 5 minutes, or until tomatoes start to reduce.
- Add tomato base to an oven proof, cast iron skillet.
- Made three little nests in the tomato base, and crack one egg into each nest.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to liking. *
What is your favourite lazy weekend breakfast?
Have you ever cooked Middle Eastern food before?