Gooey oven baked brie with fig & pomegranate – if you’re looking for a quick, easy Thanksgiving or Christmas appetizer, this is the recipe for you!
Can’t believe it’s the end of another month already!! And holy moly has it been a epic month!
I am starting to gear up into holiday mode, so for the next 2 months, I’m bringing you all of my holiday favourites for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Because frankly, this is my all-time favourite time of the year!
As you are well aware, at the end of each month I do a quick round up of what we’ve been up to, and what’s been happening, and I’m not entirely sure where to start this month!
October has been a life changing month for us!
- The biggest news was the arrival of Archie, our 16lb golden retriever puppy. He is the cutest thing in the world, keeps up very busy and has the sweetest temperament. It’s been full on learning how to adjust with a puppy in our lives. We’ve had minimal sleep, been trying to train him to not eat our clothes, cords and anything else he can get his mouth on that he’s not supposed to chew, and been working on crate and toilet training, mostly successfully! I must admit, leaving him at home the first time left me a nervous wreck, but he seems to be relatively calm when we are gone. He is adjusting well into our household, and we are so, happy to have him part of our family.
- I got glasses. Finally I can see properly. I didn’t actually realise how unclear everything was until I started to wear them! It’s so much easier being able to see brighter colours and clearer images!
- Adam and I travelled to San Diego for an Australian football National tournament. Oh, and the Portland girls team WON!!! We are now Division 2 USAFL National Champions. It was SUCH a fun weekend and I was so proud to play with my girls.
- I became an Auntie again! My brother and sister in law gave birth to a little baby girl and she is the sweetest little thing!
- I cooked a lot this month, and made my favourite soup, two amazing fall salads, a delightful comforting curry, my new favourite Thanksgiving appetizer, a warming hot spiced apple cider, and did an epic Fall dinner party recipe round up! I also got back to baking for the first time in forever!
- We visited the farmers market a lot, and made a beautiful salad made with some local produce I found.
- Our dining table finally arrived! We got a custom made farmhouse table from a local guy in Portland, and it is absolutely stunning. We are so excited to finally have enough room for everyone when we have people around for dinner.
- I’ve been loving this song lately. Every song on Adams playlist this month has been amazing!
- We’ve been embracing the cooler weather and fall. We visited the haunted maze on Sauvie Island and are going to attempt to carve pumpkins tomorrow night! I have a feeling though a certain someone will struggle to let this happen!
- Honestly, despite being busy, we’ve really been loving life lately! Everything seems to be falling into place so well and we are feeling really happy!
As I mentioned earlier, the next two months is going to be all about the HOLIDAY season! AKA THE BEST TIME OF YEAR!
Whether I’m in Australia, or America, November and December are def my favourite months. I am so looking forward to hosting Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving this year with our friends, and cannot WAIT to take Archie out in the snow up at Mt. Hood for his first winter adventures.
I can’t wait to get our Christmas tree, (and inevitable puppy proof the tree), hang out with Adam in our new cosy home, go to the snow and celebrate our first Portland Christmas with our little family!
I know that sometime the holiday season can be stressful, so I’m aiming to put together some kick ass holiday recipes that are easy to make, delicious and simple, so that you don’t have to stress or fuss at all!
Starting with this oven baked brie with fig & pomegranate
OMG you guys, this recipe is everything! So festive, stupidly easy and such a delicious appetizer that everyone will love!
I actually made this for some friends on Sunday. I needed a really quick and easy recipe to make and shoot for the blog today, and this was literally out on the table in less than 20 minutes! Oh, and our friends loved it!
The brie ends up being ultra-gooey and SO delicious! It pairs perfectly with the sweet figs, and the pop of colour from the pomegranate gives it SUCH a festive feel!
There are a couple of notes about this recipe;
- I used goat brie for the photos because Trader Joes didn’t have regular brie or camembert. The goat cheese brie works beautifully too, it’s a little tangier than regular brie so pairs really well with the sweetness of the figs.
- Cooking time is between 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the cheese you use. Other recipes I researched called for a 10-15 minute cooking time for regular brie, the goat cheese brie took 20 minutes. A good test is to press the middle, if it’s squishy then it’s most likely cooked in the middle.
- This oven baked brie is perfect for Trader Joes Raison Rosemary Crisps. These crackers are seriously addictive and add an extra element of crunch and sweetness to the dish.
- Serve immediately – the warm, gooey cheese is everything in this dish!
I’d love to know – are you guys hosting Thanksgiving this year or Christmas? What are you most looking forward to or dreading? Do you need any advice on hosting a party for the holiday seasons or any recipes that would help?
Let me know! Comment below, I’d love to help – Georgie x x
Oven Baked Brie with Fig & Pomegranate
- 8.5 oz brie one whole brie wheel (note 1)
- 4 whole figs cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds note 2
- 2 sprigs rosemary
Preheat oven to 375F/190C
Place brie on an oven safe dish
Top with quartered figs
Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until brie is soft in the middle. (note 3)
Remove from oven, top with pomegranate seeds and garnish with rosemary.
Serve with your favourite crackers!
note 1 - camembert, goat brie or any type of brie would be great.
note 2 - use as many pomegranates as you wish. I used about 1/4 cup.
note 3 - touch test. Brie should be soft to touch in the middle and hard on the outsides
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on instagram, facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on pinterest!
Don’t let this cute face fool you! He has stolen shoes, tea towels, chewed at door handles, jumped on the coffee table and started to chew bricks and rocks! But has us totally under his spell!