This panzanella salad is the salad of all salads! A flavourful explosion of fresh herbs and vegetables that you can easily find at your local farmers market! A perfect combination of fresh flavours, textures and deliciousness.
Today I’m celebrating all things farmers markets. Why? Because farmers markets are the shizz and I strongly believe that everyone should make the most of them!
Adam and I have developed a saturday morning tradition. Wake up early, quick breakfast, grab the basket, head out to our favourite local coffee shop and grab a latte, and make our way down to the Portland farmers market.
It’s become a really special tradition for us, it’s refreshing for the soul, and we get to experience and eat all the kick ass food that the Portland farmers have to offer.
We love that we know where our food is coming from, and know that most of it is organic, fresh and in season! I get so annoyed going to the supermarket in winter, only to find bloody pineapples and mangos! Come on!
As much as I love my pineapples and mangos, I get kind of annoyed that technology has allowed food to be readily available, regardless of the season! *rant over*
But in all seriousness, there are so many good reasons to shop local, or shop at your local farmers market!
- You reduce your carbon footprint – local produce has travelled less than most foods found in large supermarkets.
- You’re supporting the local economy and local farmers rather than large cooperations
- The food is seasonal and fresh – you know exactly where it’s come from, and most of the produce is seasonal based on the climate in that area. The food hasn’t travelled so stays fresher for longer.
- The food tastes better! It really does. We compared a tomato bought from the markets to a supermarket tomato, hands down the local tomato was juicier, fresher and so much more delicious.
- It’s fun and good for the soul!
Adam and I went last saturday and came home with a basket full of goodies!
We bought THE BEST little orange tomatoes, a really cool looking eggplant, purple cauliflower, fresh herbs, leeks, sweet potato, purple and yellow carrots and the most delicious, sweet tasty honeycrisp apples!
I decided to bring you guys a recipe today that would showcase some of my favourite farmers market finds – panzanella salad.
Panzanella salad is an Italian ‘bread’ salad, filled with fresh herbs, tomatoes, feta, olives and crispy oven baked bread.
The fresh vegetables found in this panzanella salad recipe are all easy to find at your local markets – tomatoes, basil, mint, cilantro, parsley and red onion. If you’re lucky, you may also find fresh crusty bread, good quality feta and kalamata olives!
This panzanella salad is a light, fresh, simple salad that highlights the flavours of fresh herbs. This is perfect for a summer barbeque, or for a winter salad with a piece of steak or lamb.
Enjoy! – Georgie x x
Panzanella Salad + 5 Reason to Shop at a Farmers Market
This panzanella salad is a light, fresh, healthy salad made using your favourite farmers market finds! Perfect for a summer or winter get together.
- 5 oz fresh bread like Pana de Casa or ciabatta
- 2.5 oz red onion finely sliced
- 7 oz grape tomatoes
- 2.25 oz kalamata olives pitted, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup basil roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup mint roughly chopped
- 4 oz feta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra for bread
Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
Cut up bread into 2"/5cm cubes.
Toss in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Place on a lined baking tray.
Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until bread is browned and crunchy.
Place tomatoes, olives, fetta, red onion, fresh herbs and bread in a large salad bowl.
Place 2 tabs of olive oil and 1 tab of red wine vinegar in a small bowl
Whisk until well combined.
Pour vinaigrette over salad
Optional - drizzle with balsamic glaze
Join the discussion! What is your favourite farmers market find? Do you shop at local markets?
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on instagram, facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on pinterest!
Want more Farmers Market inspo?
- This ultimate healthy hearty, beetroot goat cheese salad
- Don’t waste your carrot tops! Make them into pesto!
- Hands down, the best oven baked fries you’ll ever make!