Packed full of veggies and goodness, this spicy lentil soup is so easy to make, and full of deliciousness! Comforting and warm, this recipe is one of my favourites!
So confession time, I made this recipe ages ago and posted in on my old blog. Fast forward one year of blogging and I realised just how much my old photos sucked!
So I’m being honest here – I’m recreating some of my favourite recipes for you guys, complete with photography do overs and new content.
I just couldn’t bring myself to post sub-standard recipes, so I’ve decided every week or second week, I am going to republish some of my old favourites and fix things up a little bit!
This post was originally going to be for chocolate chip cookies, for a more Valentine’s Day feel, but I’m pretty sure I missed an ingredient when I wrote it down in my old recipe book, because they did not turn out how they were supposed to! So I’m awaiting an urgent reply from my dear Mum so help me solve the shitty cookies!
So back to this spicy lentil soup! This soup is a favourite of ours, one that I make a lot during the Winter time. I found in a really old CSIRO health cookbook way back, and have remodeled and adjusted it over the years.
I’ve made it for friends, family and usually for a quick, easy dinner – it never gets old.
This soup is packed full of veggies and protein from the lentils, and you can literally just leave it once it’s simmering, stirring once in a while. Plenty of extra time for chilling on the couch watching Netflix, or in my case, blogging and baking bad cookies!
This spicy lentil soup is enough for 2 hungry people, or 2 regular people and whoever shot guns leftovers the next day! Serve with Greek yoghurt, crusty bread and butter and a sprinkle of coriander/cilantro! Perfections!
So Happy Valentine’s Day friends, and no I won’t be posting any Valentine’s Day recipes, because I’m a Valentine’s Day grinch! But, keep your eyes glued for a potential sneaky wedding photo! We are starting to get some back, and I am SO DARN EXCITED!! – Georgie x
- a tablespoon of olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic clove finely diced
- ½ cup lentils (note 1)
- 2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground garam masala
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 500ml/2 cups water
- Greek yoghurt (to serve)
- Coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped (to serve)
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, carrot and celery and fry until onion is soft - about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spiced, garlic, ginger and lentils and stir until combined and fragrant 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add the tin of tomato and water and stir.
- Bring soup to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until thick.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt and coriander.
Join the discussion!
What is your favourite warming Winter soup?