Healthy, wholesome, easy to make & delicious! Our tuna lemon pasta is the perfect week night meal!
Holy crap it’s been hot! I didn’t think Oregon would ever get this warm, but it’s proven me wrong! Swear I can be outside for 10 minutes (warranted without sunscreen) and I can get burnt!! Not really into the whole lobster look, so think I’ll be smothering on layers of sun block from now on!
I sound like a broken record saying this, but I love summer. Like absolutely love it, never want to live anywhere cold again in my life, would happy bake in the desert if I had to (ok maybe not that hot) love summer! (and looking back at my past posts, I promise this will be the last summer post… for a little while!)
Things I love about Summer:
- Tanned skin (ok, in my defense I do lather up on sunscreen if I’m out longer than 10 minutes in the sun and don’t condone purposefully frying your skin, but I’m saying if I tan, then it happens!!! Also to my defense, a ‘tan’ for me is anything darker than my usual pasty British skin…which is not a lot!)
- Fresh fruit
- Feeling healthy
- Light hair
- Long days
- Beach sessions (maybe not so much in Portland but definitely in Aus it was a thing)
- White wine and Rosé (fun fact – Rosé is my new favourite thing!)
- Cider sessions
- Live music
- Long days of bike riding, hiking, camping and adventuring
- barbecuing (or grilling as you Americans like to say!)
- Iced lattes
- Fresh salads
- Healthy food (including our tuna lemon pasta!)
- Just summer in general
Things I’m not so ok with in Summer
- Living above a pizza oven and having your apartment constantly at 80 F/ 27C (amazing in Winter, not so much for Summer)
- Snakes… in Australia. American snakes are so cute!
- Mosquitos (again, Straya problems)
- Sunburn (although, my experiences so far suggest this is not as big of a problem then in Australia where you will literally burn in seconds outside without sunscreen on)
- Summer being over eventually.
Things I want to achieve by the end of this Summer
- Nailing most obstacles on the ‘Hide & Seek Trail’ at Sandy Ridge (MTB trail, gnarly AF for an intermediate rider like myself! It’s all about the challenges yo! Also the MTB project says it’s a blue run, I reckon it’s black)
- Berry picking! Apparently a favourite Oregonian past time
- Learning how to master making a s’more (I think this is an American summer time pastime? Correct me if I’m wrong)
- Taking part in some epic Oregon hikes and adventures
Summer is pretty much my life. I thrive off Summer! And I thrive off Summer foods!
This lemon tuna pasta was originally adapted from Donna Hay and one that my Mum actually used to make ages ago when I was in high school. It was in one of her old cookbooks and I’ve only recently come back to it! Why did I start making it? Pure laziness! Adam has been working away lately and I literally cannot be bothered cooking for myself when he is away!
That’s why I turn to meals that I don’t really have to put much thought into and don’t really have to cook! This pasta recipe is so easy! You throw the tuna, lemon, olive oil, parsley and red onion into a bowl and mix together, you cook some whole wheat pasta, you mix em all together and you got yourself a meal!
Minimal preparation, maximum tastiness! #winning #adulting.
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta
- 1 400g tin tuna in springwater, drained.
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente (approx 20 mins)
- Combine tuna, lemon, parsely, olive oil, red onion and salt & pepper in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Adjust oil, lemon or salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta
- Mix tuna through pasta and serve!
Join the Discussion!
What’s your favourite Summer meal?