This Italian sausage and kale pasta bake is the perfect dinner for two! A cheesy pasta skillet bake sized just right for two, loaded with Italian sausage and kale is on the table in just 35 minutes! This delicious dinner for two is simple to make and clean up is a breeze.
This recipe for Italian Sausage and Kale Pasta Bake first appeared on Sunday Suppers where I am a contributor.
Ok, so not gonna lie, I am a little bit obsessed with pasta. Ok, a lot. But seriously, if I had to pick one meal I’d eat forever, I think pasta would be it. I’ve always dreamed of going to Italy to learn how to make pasta from a pro. Sigh, maybe one day.
But even though I haven’t gone to Italy to learn from the pros, I’ve become pretty good over the past years creating drool-worthy, easy pasta dishes. In fact, I’d almost say that pasta was my forte in the kitchen!
I love making pasta dishes for all occasions. Whether it be the ‘I can’t be bothered cooking‘ meal, date night, or if I’m having friends around for dinner (I made a to die for lamb ragu!), pasta is always one of my favorite recipes to cook!
This Italian sausage and kale pasta bake is no exception!
Italian Sausage and Kale Pasta Bake
This sausage and kale pasta bake is so perfect for a quick, and easy weeknight dinner for two. My husband and I absolutely love cooking this recipe because it is just so delicious and easy! And it’s made in a skillet, so minimal washing up! Even better.
This Italian sausage and kale pasta bake is bursting with flavor and packed full of the green good stuff to add a little healthier element to it! But I’m not going to lie, didn’t skimp out on the cheese, because life is about balance (and did you see that cheesy shot?!).
It is also the perfect serving for two, meaning minimal wastage. It always so easy to overdose on the pasta when you’re trying to cook for two, I’ve made that way easier for you!
If you're looking to serve this dinner for a romantic night in, I'd suggest a piece of crusty bread, and maybe a nice glass of Pinot Noir to top it off! Dreamy!
Need a dessert? These chocolate meringue nests would go perfectly with this Italian sausage and kale pasta bake! What a perfect way to end a meal don't you think?
So if you're in the market for recipes for two, a romantic dinner idea or just a perfect kick-ass pasta recipe, this Italian sausage and kale pasta bake is for you!!
Much love - Georgie x x
Italian Sausage and Kale Pasta Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ lbs Italian sausage ground
- 14.5 oz tinned tomatoes diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ cup basil finely chopped
- 1 cup kale leaves removed from stem
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 basil leaves extra, roughly torn
- 1 cup penne pasta
- Cook penne according to packet instructions
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium to high heat
- Add onion, saute 4 to 5 minutes
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute
- Add ground sausage, and fry until lightly browned. Use a spoon to gently crush the ground sausage into smaller chunks.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes if using, ¼ cup of the finely chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer 10 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Strain penne and add to skillet. Stir through the kale.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese
- Bake in oven 10 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt and brown slightly.
- Serve with the additional roughly chopped basil
Afraid you'll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I'm loving on Pinterest!