I’ve noticed a pattern with our eating habits. In Winter, we eat SO many roast vegetable salads! What’s not to love about them though? When its 32F/0 degrees outside, the last thing you want is cold summer salads, so we’ve been making this beautiful roast vegetable and quinoa salad a lot since moving over to America.
This salad is an absolute winner and a fav for dinner parties with us. It’s easy to make, comforting, healthy, simple and filling as it contains a lot of veggies and quinoa.
The other we love about this recipe, is that is is very versatile. We tend to make it with the ingredients we have in the fridge at the time. Sometimes we sub the spinach for kale, or the pumpkin for sweet potato.
Today it’s added zucchini because it was starting to go manky. We also mix up the type of nuts we use as well. Our preference is probably pine nuts, but when they’re not available, it’s walnuts or almonds.
This recipe is can be made for two people, or can be used as next day lunch salads as well with a little pan fried chicken or turkey. We make this a lot for our winter dinner parties, so it is usually enough for four people. If we want to use up leftover fridge veggies, we’ll tend to make more.
This recipe is definetely enough for two servings, plus a little leftover for lunches, or will easily serve four for entertaining! Drizzle before serving with a little balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze for perfection! And… just in case, we’ve also added a recipe on how to cook the perfect quinoa. Click the link and check it out!
Roast Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 beetroot
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup pumpkin, diced
- 2 cups spinach, or sub kale
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 oz feta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F
- Dice beetroot, carrot and pumpkin into small pieces.
- Slice red onion into wedges
- Place beetroot, carrot, pumpkin and red onion in a bowl with about a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast veggies for about 30 minutes or until soft (ish) and cooked through. You don't want your veggies going to mush so keep an eye on the cooking process. Set aside veggies to cool
- Place spinach, cooked quinoa and roast vegetables in a large salad bowl. Top with fetta and walnuts.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.