Homemade tomato, mozarella, basil pizza made from scratch! Can’t go wrong!
We had to think of something relatively easy this week, so we came up with a beautiful tomato, mozarella and basil pizza.
We’ve been staying in an AirBnB for the past week and it is tiny!!! Cute, but the kitchen is so small only one of us can fit in it! We’ve also realised that there aren’t too many utensils for us to use as well so had to get creative!
We ended up kneading and rising our dough in a saucepan! And used a can/wine bottle as a rolling pin! Annnnnd opened the tomato paste with a knife!
We can’t wait to get into our own place- we’ve been looking at lovely little apartments around Portland. All of them are super new with open plan kitchens and gorgeous stone benchtops and stainless steel appliances!
So we’re hoping for plenty more new recipes, ideas and deliciousness for the blog!
We chose this recipe because of it’s simplicity and because it is so tasty! We’ve had some amazing pizza in America, probably the best we had was in New York in 2014! So it’s nice to be able to recreate a meal that reminds us of good times!
This recipe comes with a choice – you can either use plain flour or wholemeal flour, depending on your mood. We’ve used both and like either. You can also mix and match the toppings as well, but we love this combination of tomato, mozarella and basil.
This recipe is enough to make one 12″ pizza bases, but this also depends on the type of tray you are using and whether you have the right size tray!
This is easily enough for two people – half a pizza each (and then some room for some delicious dessert!). We would probably recommend making them thinner because they become crunchy and delicious.
We love this tomato, mozarella and basil pizza and am sure you will too! Happy cooking!
Tomato, Mozarella, Basil Pizza
- 1 cup wholemeal or plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup luke warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 slices Mozarella cheese use the fresh mozarella in a ball, you'll need between 4-5 slices
- 1 roma tomato
- 1/2 cup basil
- Sift flour in bowl and add the pinch of salt
- Dissolve sugar in water
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and leave until dissolved (about 2-3 minutes). Once dissolved, stir water.
- Add the water to the flour and stir.
- Add the olive oil, and, using your lightly floured hands, knead the dough until it comes together and is smooth.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F
- Once risen, punch down and then roll or press into a round 12" pizza tray.
- Cover with tomato paste, and evenly space out the tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until base is browned and slightly crispy.
- Top with basil, cut into wedges and serve