This beef burrito bowl are super easy to make and a healthier alternative to your regular old burrito!
I’m obsessed with Mexican food at the moment!! And nothing beats a good old-fashioned beef burrito! The problem I find with burritos though is that they are always SO filling! And leave me so full, in what I like to call a ‘post-burrito food coma’ which is practically me curled in a ball on my bed crooning a little bit! In an effort not to give up an old-time favourite, we’ve recreated a non-traditional beef burrito bowl, that uses similar ingredients, but in lower quantities. We’ve tried to healthify the classic burrito by keeping the fresh ingredients, but removing the huge quantities and added carbs from the tortilla. We believe you can still enjoy the foods you love from your own home, and just adjust them a little bit!
Our beef burrito bowl is lighter, fresh and so ridiculously easy to make! It also tastes amazing! Our philosophy on food is that we love everything in balance! We love to keep eating the foods we love, but sometimes just opt to make it a little healthier! That’s why we’ve decided to keep the cheese and sour cream. If you wanted to substitute the cheese and sour cream for something like cottage cheese, that would totally work! I’m not a huge fan of cottage cheese however, I think the texture kind of put me off a little bit! Greek yoghurt mixed with a little lime and salt and pepper would also make a good substitute! As per usual, we’ve tried to make this recipe enough for two people, however you may find you have a little leftover mince the next day! We are all for leftovers, if no food goes to waste in the process! You can mix this up as much as you want. If you’re looking for extra carbs, try adding brown rice or quinoa. And if you want to add extra veggies, something like corn would make a great addition!
So we hope you’ve had a lovely long weekend (if you’re in the States!) And remember, if you make our recipes, tag us on Instagram #healthypears! Also, keep updated on this week, Adam and I are trying a new challenge for the next 8 weeks! I am absolutely terrified, but we think it will be worth it! Keep your eyes out this week for some news (hint: it involves reducing/giving up a particular food group)!
- ½ brown onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed/finely diced
- ½ lb/200g minced beef
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1.25oz/25g taco seasoning
- 10 fresh grape tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon cilantro/coriander
- ½ an avocado
- juice of half a lime
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- ½ cup brown rice or quinoa (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan over medium to high heat
- Add onion and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant
- Add garlic, mince beef and taco seasoning.
- Fry mince until browned, then add kidney beans and tin of tomatoes. Simmer until kidney beans are tender and mince is cooked.
- Meanwhile, mash the half avocado in a small bowl with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Start with spinach at the bottom. Top spinach with minced meat, then the fresh tomatoes. Finally top with mashed avocado, sour cream, cheese and garnish with cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime for added freshness.