Maximum crispiness, minimum fuss! These oven baked Yukon gold rosemary fries are exactly what you look for in a chip! Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, perfectly seasoned and with just a hint of rosemary to make them a little different!
Ok guys, short but sweet today!
I’m currently sitting on a rock in a campsite in Montana across the river from Yellowstone National Park and my battery is about to run super low! The sun is about to set, I’m sipping on a red wine watching the sun set over the river, and life is pretty damn good at the moment!
So far we’ve had an interesting road trip – we went from Portland to Hells Canyon, then through to Craters of the Moon National Park which was incredible. Unfortunately due to all the wildfires burning we haven’t been able to see much, so decided to skip the Tetons, and head straight to Yellowstone.
We’ve also decided that it’s too dangerous to head to Glacier National Park at the moment with all the wildfires burning, which is disappointing, but at the same time obviously the safest option.
It just means that we get to go back another time!
From what we’ve seen so far, I think Yellowstone and I are going to get on just fine!
But enough chit chat, I’m here to talk to you about…..
These oven baked Yukon Gold rosemary fries
I’ve been excited to share this recipe with you since I was in Seattle the other week, and ever since I decided that YUKON GOLD ARE THE BEST POTATOES.
When we first lived in America, we used to live about two hours north of Spokane. The first day I landed in Spokane, Adam and I found this tiny little farmers market where we were first introduced to Yukon Gold potatoes.
The dude selling them to us said you’d never have a better potato in your life, and that they tasted like golden buttery, fluffy goodness.
He wasn’t wrong at all – Yukon Golds are THE best potatoes I have eaten.
Since then we didn’t really think of them until we were at the Pike Place Market the other day and found some in one of the little stores. Not really thinking, we bought enough for just four of us for one night.
I made these oven baked Yukon gold rosemary fries and the entire fam was addicted!
Since then, Adam and I were on a mission to find them in Portland, only to be upset to realise that no supermarkets sold them.
We went to the Portland Farmers market and found a store that sold them for 2.99lb! So we bought 7 pounds! 7 pounds of potatoes. #noregrets. For my Australian friends, 7 pounds is just over 3kg.
We basically took most of their potatoes, I felt a little bad, until I made this recipe at home, and realised all was well in THCK world.
Guys, these will be the best fries you’ve made at home, no jokes!
There are TWO secrets to making this recipe;
- Use grape seed oil – grape seed oil has a high smoking point meaning it’s perfect for cooking at high temperatures. This will result in slightly browned, crispy as fries which are tha best.
- Cooking time is essential – I cooked these at high temp for 50-60 minutes. Cooking time may vary according to different types of ovens, but make sure you just keep checking. As you can see in the photos, you’ll want a slightly crispy, not quite burnt texture. Crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle. Flipping halfway will ensure even cooking. I also switched my trays halfway through cooking because I found my bottom tray was cooking quicker than my top tray. Just sayin’
Aside from that, these fries are crazy easy. If you want to be fancy, we used my all time fav salt Jacobsens sea salt in rosemary. They’re not a sponsor of mine, I just love their product. I used their vanilla bean sea salt in my salted caramel vanilla bean ice cream too! It’s easy enough to find on their website.
If you don’t have rosemary sea salt, regular sea salt is just fine, with the addition of the fresh rosemary, you’re fries will be perfectly seasoned!
Apart from that, this recipe is really easy and would be a perfect addition to a grilling shin dig or as a side or appetizer for a party. Adam and I practically inhaled them for lunch the other day when we made them!
So there we have it – oven baked Yukon gold rosemary fries. A delicious, easy and oh so tasty dish that is perfect for a party, or if you just want a carb loaded lunch, because let’s be honest, who doesn’t!
Happy Thursday friends – Georgie x x
Oven Baked Yukon Gold Rosemary Fries
- 3-4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp salt or rosemary infused if you have it
- 2 tsp rosemary chopped
- 6 garlic cloves whole, skin on
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C
- Cut Yukon golds into wedges - cut in half, then into 4 wedges. Each potato should yield 8 pieces.
- Place potatoes and garlic in large bowl.
- Toss in grapeseed oil, rosemary sea salt and salt and pepper.
- Evenly lay onto a oven tray lined with parchmant paper.
- Place in oven - 50 to 60 minutes, flipping potatoes half way.
- Bake until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve straight away and enjoy with aoili or sweet chili sauce.