This rocky road recipe is a delicate and easy little treat! This is a super simple recipe, requiring 5 ingredients only, and is no bake! The perfect flavors combined into one fun treat!
Why I Love this Recipe
This is an original, childhood favourite! Rocky road is something we always made at Christmas time, and it's an absolutely great treat to have or wrap up for a gift.
We don't always bring this out for Christmas too. Other occasions like birthday parties are a great occasion for rocky road, and I also love wrapping it up for presents for people!
This rocky road recipe is super easy to create, and is a no bake recipe and can be made and set in under 2 hours!
As this recipe is so easy, there aren't too many recipe hacks I need to tell you, but I've got a couple of tips up my sleeve to help you pull of this rocky road perfectly every time!
Good Quality Chocolate - For this recipe you'll need milk and dark chocolate buttons. I use 2x375g/13oz bags of milk and dark chocolate.
Marshmallows - If you can find them, pink and white marshmallows add a bit of fun and colour. I love using the Pascall brand in Australia. You can also use mini marshmallows.
Coconut - in Australia we have dessciated coconut. In the USA you're looking for the fine, shredded coconut.
Sliced/Slivered Almonds - these are almonds that have been blanched and sliced. They're easy to find in most supermarkets.
How to Make this Recipe
- Lightly toast the coconut in a small saucepan or fry pan for 1-2 minutes, until the coconut starts to smell and turns lightly golden brown.
- Slice your marshmallows. To do this, I use a clean pair of scissors dipped in boiling water.
- Melt your chocolate - microwave it in increments of 20-30 seconds, or place chocolate in a heat proof bowl, and melt over a double boiler.
- Combine the ingredients and stir
- Pour into a prepared tray.
Tips and Tricks
How to Melt Chocolate
For this amount of chocolate, I melt mine over a double boiler rather than in the microwave. To melt the chocolate, place it in a heatproof bowl, and place is over a gently simmering saucepan of water. The bowl should be bigger than the size of the saucepan rim so it sits comfortably without touching the water in the saucepan.
The key thing with a double boiler though is to not let any of the chocolate come into contact with the water, otherwise the chocolate will seize and it will be ruined.
You need to cool the chocolate before adding the marshmallows too, otherwise the chocolate will melt the marshmallow and not have the same effect as the final product.
How to Cut Marshmallows Easily
The easiest way to do this, even if it's a little unconventional, is to use scissors!
Clean your scissors well, then I run them under hot water to sterilize them a little, then use scissors to cut up the marshmallows into chunks.
I keep a mug of boiling water next to me, and dip the scissors into the water after I cut up each marshmallow so they don't stick to the scissors.
How Do I Cut Rocky Road?
This recipe doesn't 'slice' so to speak, and true to the name, it's a rough cut dessert.
I use a sharp knife and cut into small pieces. It is quite rich so they don't have to be huge. To make it easy, run your knife under hot water then dry well before using.
How Do I Wrap this for a Gift?
I use clear cellophane and cut off squares. Then pile the rocky road into the middle of the cellophane and bring the corners together.
Tie with a ribbon and add a little gift tag for a festive flair.
What else can I add to my rocky road?
There are a few variations you can use. I love simple rocky road though.
- Peanuts or almonds
- Glace cherries
- Turkish delight chopped up
- Red jelly candy/lollies
Want more chocolate recipes?
This truly is an easy, fun and delicious recipe that makes the best gift, or treat for Christmas, birthdays or any occasion, like a party or pot luck! You can't really go wrong with such an easy recipe, that requires minimal effort but produces maximum flavour! Treat your self or someone special with a homemade gift they'll absolutely love!
Georgie x x
Rocky Road Recipe
- 13 oz milk chocolate chips
- 13 oz dark chocolate chips
- 10 oz marshmallows
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup desiccated/shredded coconut
- Melt the milk and dark chocolate over a double boiler until fully melted. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and mixed together. Remove from heat and cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Use clean scissors, to cut up your marshmallows into a medium sized bowl. Dip the scissors into boiling water after you cut up each marshmallow to ensure the marshmallows don't stick to the scissors.
- Heat a skillet or small saucepan over medium to high heat. Add the coconut and toast, stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until coconut is lightly browned and starting to smell.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the marshmallow, slivered almonds and coconut to the melted chocolate.
- Use a spatula to fold in the ingredients, until they are fully coated with chocolate.
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until the chocolate is solid.
- Roughly chop the rocky road and serve or wrap for a gift.
Chocolate is my weakness! Love that your rocky road is easy to make!
It's my weakness too! I love this rocky road recipe!