Our spinach chickpea falafel recipe is finally here! Zesty, full of flavour, easy to make and vegan! It’s a perfect meal!
Ok, so it took me way too long to get this recipe to you guys! I don’t know why, but every time it came to taking a photo of this recipe, I’d have some kind of excuse and end up putting it off! I’ve made four variations before the one that you see before you! Mainly due to my error, mainly because we eat most of the food we photograph and I was always so effing hungry and impatient to take a photo of it!
But it’s here!!! Let’s celebrate!
As you probably know, we’ve been trying to get more vegetarian meals onto the blog. After posting our top five favourite vegetarian meals, I decided that enough was enough, and I was making these damn spinach chickpea falafel!
So first time I made these – they tasted awesome! In fact I was so
excited hungry, that I didn’t really write down the recipe and kind of winged it (wung it?). I just kind of got some ideas, threw a bunch of stuff in the blender and it turned out great. As an after thought, I kind of jotted down the ingredients and rough quantities that I used.
Second attempt, was a little better, but we were entertaining so I didn’t really get the opportunity to get the photo! Plus I misread my notes, and added too much oat flour!
Third attempt – amazing taste, disastrous turn out! Why? Because I forgot to write down the key ingredient – oat flour, and Adam left it out. Which meant they didn’t keep form at all and we kind of ended up with delicious tasting spinach chickpea falafel scramble!
Fourth time – it had to work, and it did! Finally, we have this recipe for you!
We usually just eat these with a side salad, and with a little homemade hummus or tzatziki (if not vegan!). We have had them in a burger, with ‘meh’ results, and have had them in a homemade pita before, with ‘yeah good’ results! So either way, whatever way you have them, I’m sure they’ll be delicious!
We love that this recipe basically requires the blender to make it, and a pan to fry it! That’s it! So easy! Our falafel is fresh, zesty, healthy and packed full of goodness! Make it a meal, or add it to your lunches! Either way, you’ll love it!
Spinach Chickpea Falafel
- 14.5 oz chickpeas canned, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 tbsp oat flour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro/coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Make oat flour by blitzing rolled oats into a fine meal with a high-powered food processor. Remove from food processor and place in a bowl.
- Place chickpeas, garlic, lemon, coriander, cumin, paprika and spinach in a food processor and pulse.
- Add oat flour, one tablespoon at a time until a thick consistency is reachedand falafel can be handled.**
- Add salt and pepper.
- Adjust paprika, cumin and lemon to taste. I added more cumin and a touch more lemon juice.
- Once well combined and smooth, take a large tablespoon of falafel mixture and shape into a small patty.
- Refrigerate patties 30 - 60 mins until nice and firm.
- Heat about 1 - 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large fry pan over high heat until hot.
- Add falafel. I cooked 4 at a time.
- Cook falafel for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Check at 2 minutes to make sure falafel isn't burning.
- Flip and repeat process.
- Falafels should be crunchy and brown on the outside and soft in the middle.
- Serve as a side, in a burger or any other way you please! These taste great with hummus or tatziki!
Join the Discussion!
Were there any times you’ve made a recipe multiple times and messed it up each time?