Like bananas and coconut? Then you’re going to love our banana coconut bread recipe!
If you’re the type of people who doesn’t get around to eating their bananas until they are black, mooshy and inedible, then you’re in the same boat as us.
Adam is the banana eater in our relationship, I hate them, unless they are disguised in something else.
So I never really learnt how to buy the best banana, and how to store them properly. I tend to whack them in the fruit bowl with everything else, or store them in plastic bags which is apparently a no no.
When I was in charge of doing the shopping the other day, I bought a bunch of beautiful looking bananas, that I thought would last all week for Adams lunch. Apparently not. Within two days of purchasing these beautiful looking bananas, they quickly ripened beyond edible and we had to think of something to do with them asap.
Lo and behold, we created our amazingly delicious, healthier banana coconut bread.
This banana coconut bread is actually awesome. I don’t even like bananas and I LOVE this recipe. This was one of those accidental recipes, where you didn’t really have all the ingredients to make someone elses recipe, so you kind of just merge a bunch of recipes and ingredients together until it resembles something that looks and tastes like it should!
Our banana coconut bread is refined sugar-free, simple to make, and contains wholemeal flour instead of regular bleached flour. It is a healthier version of the kinds you might buy at a cafe, and is a perfect for breakfast with a dollop of greek yoghurt, honey and cinnamon or for an afternoon snack.
Banana Coconut Bread
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour or wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- Mix flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- Lightly whisk the 2 eggs and the vanilla extract in a separate bowl
- Mash the ripe bananas in a bowl until smooth
- Melt the coconut oil and honey in the microwave for about 1 minute until melted
- Add coconut oil and honey mixture, eggs and vanilla and bananas to the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into a loaf tin lined with parchment paper
- Place in oven and bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. If you place a knife or skewer in the middle, it should come out clean.
Join the Discussion!
Bananas – yay or nay?