Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Doesn’t really matter WHEN you eat these, because they are delicious all day long, but we love our bacon and corn breakfast muffins for an easy, quick breakfast solution when we are in a hurry! What I love about this recipe, is that you can easily keep them in the freezer and just grab them out and microwave them whenever you need them! Takes about 2 minutes to defrost! So hence why we find them perfect for our breakfast!
I think muffins usually get a bad wrap when it comes to eating healthy. Usually muffins are full of sugar, but our bacon and corn breakfast muffins are refined sugar-free, and contain healthier substitutes, like wholemeal flour instead of white plain flour. Personally, muffins are not my go-to snack, I tend to prefer savoury muffins over sweet muffins, I’m more of a cupcake kind of person! Which is weird, because technically I guess you can say that muffins and cupcakes are the same thing? Expect that cupcakes look much prettier and have icing, which is probably my favourite part of a cupcake! We are planning on making over 100 cupcakes for our wedding next year…but more on that later!
So despite the fact that I just went off on a tangent about the difference between cupcakes and muffins, and that had probably absolutely no relevance to this recipe what so ever… make sure you try our easy, bacon and corn breakfast muffins! If you are vegetarian, simply leave out the bacon! You won’t regret trying these and if you’re always on the go in the morning, then this is the recipe for you! This recipe makes around 9 muffins, which should last 3 days for two people if you both eat 1 each a day! To serve, I simply defrost the muffins in the microwave, then spread with a little butter.
Bacon and Corn Breakfast Muffins
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 yellow/brown onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F
- Place flour and baking powder in large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Add the melted butter to the milk and egg mixture and stir.
- Place onion, cheddar, bacon, corn and parsley in the bowl with the flour and baking powder.
- Add the eggs, milk and butter.
- Stir until well combined and season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a muffin tin with melted butter or coconut oil using a pastry brush.
- Use a tablespoon to generously dollop the muffin mixture into the tin. Avoid over filling because they will rise.
- Place in oven, bake for 20-30 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and sound 'hollow' when tapped.