This watermelon mint feta salad is light, fresh and so amazing for Summer! Combined with a little red onion and a simple balsamic vinegar dressing, this watermelon salad is absolutely fantastic for backyard barbecues, picnics or weekend dinner parties! Pairing perfectly with steak or salmon, this salad is summer on a plate!
Nuff said...that's all I have for this post!
No, in all seriousness, watermelon has to be my favourite summer fruit! I freaking love it! Nothing beats biting into a piece of juicy watermelon with it all sloshing down your face, without a care in the world. Best feeling ever!
This is actually an old recipe that I posted on our old blog last year, that I thought needed a little bit more love, because it is such a good salad. I'd forgotten how delicious it was!
I had some leftover watermelon lying in the fridge and went on a 'recipes with watermelon making spree' (if you didn't see my raspberry watermelon margaritas, you SO should take a look!). I remembered that I had this amazing recipe, remembered how amazing it was for our 4th of July party last year!!
While it may sound like an unusual combination, watermelon as a savoury dish actually goes SO well together!! You get the freshness of the watermelon which is cut by the acidity of the onion and balsamic vinegar! Throw in some fresh mint and some creamy feta and you're on to a real winner here!
5 Reasons Why this Watermelon Mint Feta Salad Rocks
- It's SO easy to make - dice some watermelon, slice some onion and mint, whack is on a plate and it will look amazing.
- This salad is SO refreshing! Seriously amazing for the summer weather.
- It is really light, fresh and healthy and pairs perfectly with a barbeque - we had lamb and pork sausages with ours and it was a match made in heaven!
- It's healthy!! I love healthy summer salads, and this is no exception!
- It can be all pre-chopped and then reassembled at your destination! Seriously, place your cubed watermelon in an airtight container, place your sliced onions in another container, slice your mint and add it to the watermelon, then all you need to do is take along your feta, lime and condiments and it can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes at your destination!
This salad is always a huge hit and our guest always love it!
Quick Recipe Tips
This watermelon mint feta salad is best eaten on the night of. To avoid extra sogginess, I would suggest making it just before your guests arrive, and not adding the balsamic vinegar until you are just ready to serve it. Cut watermelon has a tendency to get a lil' soggy if it sits in the fridge for too long!
So there you have it, probably what will end up being my quota of watermelon recipes for the summer *cries a little* but that's the problem when you have too many other recipes you want to share!
Much love and happy summertime - Georgie x x
Watermelon Mint Feta Salad
- 15 oz watermelon cut into ½ inch or 1 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoon mint finely sliced
- 2 oz feta
- ¼ cup red onion very finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Place diced watermelon in a large bowl.
- Top with mint, red onion and feta.
- Squeeze lime juice over watermelon.
- Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
If you loved this recipe, I'd love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don't forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I'd love to see your creations!
Afraid you'll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I'm loving on Pinterest!
Join the Discussion!
What are some weird ingredients that you would never have thought went well together but do?
This was one of my first internet posted recipes on tbe now defunct yahoo.com.ph ages ago before I started my blog. I love this combination and should make again it now that watermelons are sweet!
thanks!!! it's a great recipe! watermelon are so good at the moment!
Pamela (BrooklynFarmGirl) says
This looks so light and refreshing 🙂 yum!
thanks Pamela!!! it is delicious!
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
This is the best looking salad I've seen in a long time. Nothing beats watermelon this time of year, and adding feta and mint makes it that much better :). Happy Friday, Georgie!
awww thank you Kelsie! That means a lot 🙂 Watermelon is so so SO good! this salad is really delicious!
Milena | Craft Beering says
Growing up my grandma always tried to get me to eat watermelon and feta and I always thought they didn't go together. Funny how tastes change once you become an adult! You learn to appreciate the finer things:) I love this salad for summer. And the mint and red onions make it so sprightly!
ha ha totally agree!!! I hated brussels sprouts when I was a kid and LOVE them now!