This chili chocolate ice cream is a unique twist on a classic flavour. This no churn ice cream is not too sweet, beautifully smooth and has a flavour kick to it that will knock your socks off! Great for weekend parties with friends, or when you’re just in the mood for some ice cream at home!
So given the fact, that its Summer (yay!) I’m revamping one of my most popular recipes on THCK!
This chili chocolate ice cream went crazy last year, and I’ve decided it’s time to give the recipe the photos it deserves!!
While I’m writing this on my couch in Portland, I am actually in Latvia right this moment on a family holiday with Adams family. You’ll be getting an update when we get back but for now, I’m sure there are some pictures floating around on Instagram that you can have a look at!!
But for now, we’re here to chat about this uh-mazing chili chocolate ice cream recipe!
You probably read the title, and went either ‘um, no wtf is she thinking’ or ‘omg what a cool idea’. Regardless of your reaction, don’t knock this recipe until you try it!
I have been a chili chocolate fan for quite some time now, and even though I don’t like spicy foods, I love the subtle bite the chili gives you when you taste the chocolate.
A long, long time again when I lived in Melbourne, I remember eating chili chocolate ice cream at a gelato store on Lygon Street and I was amazed! It’s a little odd, eating something cold, that is spicy but I absolutely love it! It has left a positive impression in my mind ever since.
The sweetness of the chocolate and the subtleness of the chili bring out such an amazing, rich flavour, you won’t even believe how good it is until you try it.
Oh, and did I mention it is also no churn?! Amazing!
I have definitely decided to jump on the no churn ice cream bandwagon, because it is so easy, and so, SO good! This ice cream didn’t crystallize, there were no lumpy, icy chunky bits and you don’t need a fancy ice cream maker.
I’m not saying that I don’t want an ice cream maker (Adam if you’re reading this, hint hint), but for this point in my life, having an ice cream maker is a little impractical and the thought of eventually having to lug it home to Australia gives me a little anxiety.
No churn ice cream is seriously so easy to make and comprises of 2 base ingredients – condensed milk, and whipped cream. I did my original research and base quantities from The Kitchn, then added some extra flavours to jazz it up to a whole new level! If you didn’t see my post for my salted caramel vanilla bean no churn ice cream, then I go into more detail about how to make no churn ice cream!
But basically, it comes down to four easy steps!
Recipes Basics for No Churn Chili Chocolate Ice Cream
- As this is a chocolate no churn ice cream, you’ll need to heat the cream and chocolate to melt the chocolate. This does lead to a slightly longer process as the cream has to fully cool before being whipped again.
- Once the cream and chocolate have cooled, you will go ahead and whip the cream again until stiff peaks form, without curdling.
- Add a small amount of cayenne to start with. I started with 1/8th of a teaspoon. You can usually immediately gauge the spiciness. Remember – you can always add more spice, but you can’t take it away.
- You’ll want to soften the condensed milk with a touch of the chocolate cream, before going ahead and folding in the rest of cream.
- Store in an air-tight container until it’s ready to serve!
This recipe does require a little patience, especially because I am adding a whole new element to the basic recipe, but I PROMISE you, it will be worth it!
I served this chili chocolate ice cream at our Cinco de Mayo celebrations and it is a favourite of ours for everyday ice cream eating. I’ll also let you in on in a little secret, this makes a banging chocolate ice cream if you’re really not 100% sold on the chili! It makes a lot, lasts a long time and is so easy, you can make it the night before, or the morning of before your guests arrive!
So happy ice cream making! Hope you guys are having some sunshine!
much love x x
Watch How To Make It >>>>
Chili Chocolate Ice Cream
- 14 oz can of condensed milk
- 2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Gently heat cream and chocolate until the chocolate has fully melted. You can either do this in the microwave, heating at 30-second increments then stirring, or on the stovetop over low heat.
- Add the cayenne pepper bit by bit, and taste. Adjust flavour according to tastes.
- Cover the cream and chocolate, and refrigerate 2 hours until cream is cold again.
- Whip chocolate cream until stiff peaks form. This may take slightly longer than regular whipping cream because of the chocolate. Just keep going!
- Pour condensed milk into a large bowl, and add a scoop of the chocolate cream. Gently fold, then fold in remaining cream.
- Pour into an air-tight container or loaf pan lined with parchment paper. If using a loaf tin, wrap in one layer of plastic wrap, and finish a layer of aluminium foil.
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest!