Flourless chocolate torte – A decadent, rich and fudge-like chocolate cake recipe. This recipe is gluten-free, and so easy to make with minimal ingredients and no fuss.
I am so obsessed with this recipe, I think I’ve made it at least 3 times in the past month or so. You know those recipes that you can just rely on turning out every time? Those recipes you always have the ingredients for just in case unexpected guests turn up or you need a quick dessert?
Yeah, well this is one of those recipes! I always make sure I have these ingredients on hand, because this flourless chocolate torte is 100% my easy, go to dessert. And it’s a massive hit.
How can you not like, dark, decadent, rich, chocolate tart? What’s even better, is that this tart is fully gluten-free meaning it’s a fabulous recipe for the gluten intolerant or celiacs in your life.
Flourless Chocolate Torte Recipe Tips
What is a chocolate torte?
A chocolate torte is similar to a chocolate cake but one of the key factors is that a chocolate torte usually contains no flour, unlike a chocolate cake. This chocolate torte uses almond meal/flour instead of regular flour, making it a great gluten-free dessert.
It is also a little denser and more decadent than a chocolate tart, with a really rich chocolate flavour.
What ingredients go into a flourless chocolate torte?
The ingredients for this recipe are super simple, and ones I always have on hand just in case. You’ll need;
- unsalted butter
- dark cooking chocolate (use good quality chocolate)
- almond meal/almond flour – depending on what country you’re in. Almond meal is a gluten free ‘flour’ make from ground almonds.
- coffee – I use a 30ml shot of Nespresso. If you don’t have a coffee machine, you can use a teaspoon of instant coffee powder in 30 ml of water. (30ml is approx 1 fluid oz).
- caster sugar – castor sugar is fine sugar. If you don’t have caster sugar, regular white sugar is fine.
How to make a flourless chocolate torte
As mentioned, this recipe is really simple to make, and requires just a few ingredients and steps to take. To make this chocolate torte you need to;
- Melt the chocolate and butter together. This could be done in the microwave in 30 second increments. Stir after each 30 seconds. It should take about 90 seconds in total.
- Add the coffee to the butter and chocolate.
- Whisk in the almond meal and caster sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Add the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until hard peaks appear.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into your prepared cake tin.
How do you get the torte light and fluffy?
The fluffiness comes from the egg whites. You will seperate your eggs and whisk up the egg whites until hard peaks appear. Tips for beating your egg whites.
- use a clean bowl, and clean beaters.
- make sure you whisk right down to the bottom of your bowl. Sometime I find when using my kitchen aid, the whisk attachment doesn’t get right to the bottom. This wouldn’t be an issue with a hand mixer.
- When spooning your egg whites into your chocolate batter, don’t get your spatula in the batter then go back to transferring the egg whites. This will deflate the egg whites.
I use a spring loaded round cake pan that I’ve lightly greased. Once your oven has reached temperature (180C/350F), place your cake into the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes.
The cake is done when it’s firm in the middle. The best way to check is to insert a clean skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean it is done.
Cool the cake completely before serving and cutting. This makes it easier to cut when it had fully cooled and you can cut clean, neat slices.
How to Serve this Flourless Chocolate Torte
I love to serve this chocolate torte with fresh berries, and cream or ice cream. It goes beautifully with vanilla bean ice cream. I don’t find this flourless chocolate torte sweet, rather very decadent and rich, so you may find the berries cut through the chocolate quite well.
This is a must make for your special occasions. This is a gorgeous recipe that is so quick and easy to make, and great to have on hand if you’re needing a dessert in a hurry!
And remember if you make this, I’d love to see! You can take a snap and tag me on instagram. And don’t forget to leave and comment and star rating if you make this recipe x
Flourless Chocolate Torte
- 100g/3.5oz unsalted butter just under 1 stick of butter
- 100g/4 oz dark cooking chocolate
- 30ml/1oz espresso or sub 1 teaspoon of instant coffee with 30ml/1 oz hot water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cups almond meal
- 3 eggs seperated
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (fan forced)
- Grease a 20cm/8" round, spring for cake tin with a litte butter.
- Combine the dark chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, until chocolate and butter are melted. Stir until combined.
- Add the espresso shot and whisk.
- Whisk in the sugar and almond meal and mix until well combined.
- Seperate your eggs. Add egg yolks to the chocolate batter, one at a time, whisking after each addition until all combined.
- In a bowl, whisk your egg whites until stiff peaks appear. This can be done with a hand held mixer or a kitchen aid. Make sure the egg whites are all whisked and there is no leftover whites.
- Use a spatula to gently fold in the eggs whites into the chocolate batter, until there are no visible egg whites.
- Pour into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until firm. The torte should be firm to the touch. To test, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake. It should come out clean.
- Transfer from oven and cool completely. Remove the sides of the cake pan after about 10 minutes.
- You can leave the cake on the cake pan, transfer it to a large plate. Be gentle when cutting the cake so you don't scratch the bottom of your cake pan.
- Serve the chocolate torte with berries, ice cream or cream and enjoy.
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest!