Deliciously decadent chocolate tartlets filled with a two-ingredient chocolate mousse. Thick, creamy rich chocolate mousse piped into mini tart shells. A super quick recipe if you're short on time.
Why We Love this Recipe
Basically, this recipe is SO easy. You need a total of 2 ingredients and one store bought item. It's deliciously decadent (think rich, creamy chocolate mousse) and you just can't go past how quick they are to whip up together (I'm talking, 10 minutes tops!).
While I love cooking most of my food from scratch, some things I just actually can't be bothered doing. Mini tart shells are one of those things. These chocolate tarts are one of those last minute desserts you can put together for a special treat.
Great for entertaining, office lunches, pot lucks, picnics or date night!
Ingredients in this Recipe
Dark Cooking Chocolate - I use dark baking chocolate (70% is ideal) for this recipe. Dark baking chocolate is easy to find in most supermarkets. You can either use it in chocolate chip form or block form.
Heavy Whipping Cream - it's essential that it's whipping cream. If you get non-whipping cream this recipe will flop.
Store Bought Mini Tart Shells - I always have store bought sweet tart shells in my pantry as a dessert back up. I found mine in our local Coles Supermarket, but they are also usually available in local food markets, Italian food stores or sometime bakeries. Sometimes they come in really mini form, other times I find them in packs of 6 and they are medium sized. Find what you can.
How to Make this Recipe
For full instructions please see the recipe card!
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. This involves placing your chocolate in a heatproof bowl, then placing it over a simmering pot of boiling water. The simmering water melts the chocolate easily. Just ensure no water touches the actual chocolate.
- Whip the cream. Use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip the cream until it's light and fluffy.
- Fold through the chocolate into the cream until combined.
- Fill the chocolate mixture into a piping bag with a round tip.
- Pipe the chocolate mousse filling into the pastry shells.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until the mousse is set.
- Decorate with desired topping.
Tips for Success & FAQ
How do I serve these chocolate tartlets?
There are so many different ways you can serve these beauties. I like to add a mini dollop of whipped cream and serve with fresh strawberries or coconut. You can also serve them with shaved chocolate.
How can I store these tarts?
You can store them in the fridge in an air tight container. The mousse needs a few hours to set and the tart shells are fine to be a little cold.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You most certainly can! Because the mousse needs to be refrigerated for a few hours, make the mousse ahead of time then pipe into the tarts just before serving.
Do I need to use a piping bag?
Short answer - no! You can use a spoon to dollop the mousse into the tart shells. I just enjoy using piping bags because they look pretty. Do be aware though, that when you pipe, start in the centre of the tart and gently squeeze until the tart is full. If you pipe around in circles your tarts ended up looking a little bit like 💩.
More Delicious Recipes Mini Desserts
- For those who want to make their own tartlet shells
- Mini chocolate meringues
- Mini Christmas Steamed Puddings
- Mini Plum Tarts
- Chocolate Truffles
- Heat proof bowl
- Stand Mixer or Hand mixer
- Piping bag with large, round tip (optional)
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 130 ml whipping cream
- 6 mini tart shells
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl (base of bowl needs to fit comfortably in your saucepand so it doesn't touch the water)
- Simmer a small saucepan of water.
- Place the heatproof bowl on top of the simmering saucepan of water and melt chocolate until fully melted. Set aside to cool.
- Whip cream until peaks form.
- Use a spatula to fold chocolate through the whipped cream until combined.
- Fill your piping bag with the chocolate mousse and pipe into the tart shells.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours until the mousse is set.