These harissa roasted carrots with farro are gorgeous for a holiday or winter side dish. A hint of spice cooled down with a beautiful mint lemon yoghurt dressing, this will be your go-to side for entertaining!
Ok, you guys. Just sayin'. I am totally not equipped for the winter here in Portland.
As I type this, it's 35F/2C outside, we just got back from our local bar the other night (hence the mild rantiness that's going on!) and I am SO DAMN COLD. And it's not even below freezing. Basically, I'm doomed for the winter. The wind chill rn actually puts it at -2C for my Australian friends. No, NOT COOL.
Usually, if it's below 32/0, I am totally fine. Snow? Love it. Wind, and cold nope. bye. It's been absolutely beautiful here, sunny days all week so I shouldn't really complain but omg give me snow or sunshine any day over general coldness.
In saying that though, American mayyyyy have converted me to prefer Christmas in winter. I know, shock horror. But everything makes SENSE! When you listen to Christmas music and carols, it is all relevant now! The decorative snow, the lights etc. It's so much easy to get in the Christmas spirit when you're forced inside because it's too freaking cold to venture out, and just have to put on the Xmas lights because it gets dark at 4.30pm!
It's actually kind of exciting! And I dig it!
Oh and don't get me started on food, booze and warm drinks. Please.
If I could spend the next 3 months hibernating, making food, sitting in front of the fire reading I'd be one happy girl. But alas adult responsibilities do not allow for that.
Despite that, I can still spend a good portion of my day cooking, and shooting recipes for THCK, while Archie either a) sleep or b) witches, and it's pretty darn good.
These harissa roasted carrots with farro are my latest creation, and I am pretty darn smitten about them!
It's not often you find a side dish that's filling AND easy to make, AND hearty!
This dish combined my love for North African spices (aka harissa, my fav spice ever) with everyday coziness and comforts of winter. Picture this. Baby carrots, seasoned with harissa, baked in the oven, to go over a plate of hearty farro, finished off with a lemon mint yoghurt dressing. Are you convinced yet?
Spice up your life a little this Christmas! I guarantee you'll love these harissa spiced roasted baby carrots with lemon mint yoghurt! The perfect Christmas side for north and southern hemisphere Christmas do's!
Much love, and any pro tips on surviving winter welcome. I am armed with 2 down coats, a woollen beanie, thermal underwear, long socks, wool boots and yet I am still cold!
Georgie x x
Harissa Roasted Carrots with Farro
- 10 baby carrots 1 bunch with tops removed and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp harissa spice
- ½ cup farro rinsed (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt unflavored
- 1 tbsp mint roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp pistachios roughly chopped for garnish
- 2 tsp pomegranate seeds garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Place harissa, lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix together well.
- Place carrots in a tray lined with baking paper.
- Coat with harissa spice mix, and use hands to mix together so every part of the carrot is covered.
- Place in oven and roast 30-40 minutes, or until carrots are still slightly crunchy.
- Meanwhile, place rinsed farro in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Taste test occasionally - farro is ready when it is still chewy but soft.
- Place farro in the bottom of a pretty baking tray or flat plate.
- Layer carrots.
- Top with mint lemon yoghurt.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
What are you guys doing for Christmas? Winter fan? Yay or nay?
Afraid you'll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I'm loving on Pinterest!
He is growing up too fast! He lost 2 baby teeth the other day! On a side note, this photo is absolute gold! He had a play date with another puppy from puppy school the other day!