This Vietnamese Beef Salad is my all-time favourite wholesome, healthy salad. Filling, and fresh, yet hearty enough to make you feel like you've had a real meal. Tied together with the best Asian salad dressing you'll ever make!
OMG I so forgot I had this salad!
So, I don't know if you knew this, but back in 2016, THCK was actually a healthy food blog with a totally different name. And was where this recipe first featured. I originally started it to lose weight for my wedding. I thought by holding myself accountable by cooking about healthy foods, I would.
Spoiler alert, it didn't work. Three days before my wedding I didn't even fit into my dress! How hilarious is that!!
Just goes to show, that when you actually do follow a cause you're passionate about, good things happen. Needless to say, THCK is doing 1000% better than the old blog, and I am SO down with those changes I made.
Despite the fact that I practically hated the recipes from my 2016 blog, some truly fantastic recipes came from it. This Vietnamese Beef Salad was by far one of the best recipes I made in 2016! (if you're interested, this seafood risotto and pesto pasta are insanely good! Also, who the heck makes a creamy chicken pesto pasta in a health food blog? Clearly, I knew where my foodie passion lied early on!)
I have been going through withdrawals of Asian food! I absolutely love it! Whether it be a fresh pho, a Pad Thai, red curry or sticky rice dish, I will eat the lot!
One thing we really miss about home is the access to fresh Asian inspired ingredients, like snow peas, bean sprouts, and red chilli's. I cannot for the life of me find red bird's eye chilli here and it's driving me nuts!
I was absolutely craving a Vietnamese Beef Salad the other day, and my friend Renee came over for lunch, so it was the perfect time to retest the recipe!
And yes, it is still as good as it was back in 2016!
Whats not to love about this Vietnamese Beef Salad?
Firstly this salad is SO fresh and flavourful. For a beef and vegetable salad, the level of flavour that emulates from the Asian dressing is incredible. It takes the recipe to the next level.
Secondly, despite the fact that it's a salad, this Vietnamese Beef Salad is so filling. As you know, I hate boring salads that leave you hungry in minutes. This my friends does not.
The addition of vermicelli noodles just adds that extra level of heartiness that you want from a salad.
This Vietnamese beef salad is fresh, light, crunchy, full of goodness and makes a darn healthy dinner! We've also paired it with a cleaner dressing, using fresh ingredients such as chilli's, lime juice and cilantro, and healthier alternatives such as coconut sugar.
This would be great for easy weeknight meals, perfect to pack into a picnic and great for a girls lunch or weekday meal prep.
Enjoy! And remember, tag us on Instagram @thehomecookskitchen with your creations or send us a pic! We'd love to see your work!
Vietnamese Beef Salad
- 3 cups mix salad greens
- 1 Persian/Lebanese cucumbers juilienned (or half an English cucumber)
- 1.5 oz carrot julienned (about 1 medium sized carrot)
- 1.5 oz snow peas cut into thin slices (about 10 snow peas)
- 2 oz vermicelli noodles
- 1 lbs chuck steak
- 1 tablespoon peanuts roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon roughly chopped mint
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- 2 teaspoon white sesame seeds optional
- ½ teaspoon fresh red chilli finely diced add more for more kick
- 2 tablespoon tamari or good quality soy sauce
- 3 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a large pan or cast iron skillet. Place steak onto a pan, and leave for 4-5 minutes, then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Set aside to rest 5 minutes, then slice into thin pieces.
- Add mixed salad greens, cucumber, and carrot to a large salad bowl.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions. Usually, this just means placing them in boiling water until tender for about 4 minutes.
- Run noodles under cold water, drain then add to salad bowl. Combine.
- Top salad with beef, snow peas, bean sprouts, then herbs and finally top with peanuts.
- Combine ingredients and mix well
- Adjust according to taste.
- Add dressing to salad, stir through and serve.
Afraid you'll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I'm loving on Pinterest!
I LOVE salads like this - they are great for dinner, and leftovers make GREAT next day lunches.
absolutely Kelli! this makes around 4 servings so definitely leftovers for lunch!
This salad does looks so flavorful. Good for you too! I'd love to take this to work.
it would be SO good for work! you could take the dressing in a separate container!
Veena Azmanov says
Wow, this Vietnamese Beef Salad looks so great! It's great for my lunch. I really like the presentation! It's very beautiful! I definitely want to try this and I'm sure it's very tasty! Thank you for sharing this great recipe. Yum!
Thanks Veena 🙂 this is such a light and fresh salad, we love it!
I wouldn't have thought of adding vermicilli to a salad, but I really like how it rounds everything out and turns a yummy salad into a meal. Your friends are lucky - you serve some great lunches!
thanks Vicky!! vermicilli makes it just that little bit more filling for a dinner or lunch!
maria long says
Our family are big Vietnamese food fans. There is a great restaurant we have been going to for years. Looks like I need to make it at home now.
Thanks Maria! it is so fresh and healthy!
This beef salad looks so flavourful! I love all the fresh ingredients and the dressing sounds incredible! Pinning!
thanks Marie! it's so fresh and yummy!