A beautifully spiced red sangria that is full bodied in flavour, and lightly spiced! Whether it’s Christmas, Thanksgiving or a special occasion, this red wine sangria is great for cold or hot weather!
>>Want to PIN this recipe for later? Click HERE to save the recipe to your favourite Cocktail Board on Pinterest. <<
Hi Friends! How are the Christmas plans going? Are you almost there with planning, or totally chaotic? I’m somewhere in between! I’m kinda lucky though because I don’t have to do a lot this year for Christmas.
All my family is back in Australia, so it’s just us for Christmas. We are heading to friends for Christmas Day though, so that should be fun!
We’ve had a couple of Christmas parties already which has been super fun! I made my famous pavlova recipe the other day and it was a total hit! Speaking of hits, this red sangria was also well received at the same party so I’m super excited to share this recipe with you today!
How to Make Red Sangria!
The general gist for sangria comes down to; a red wine, some form of liquor, fruits, a simple syrup and some ice. I stuck with those flavours, but added a spiced element for a more Christmasy feel.
As well as red wine, I used cranberry juice for a festive flair (you could also use pomegranate juice), triple sec (Grand Marnier or Cointreau would also work, but I had triple sec already) to add a hint of orange flavour to the red sangria, the spiced simple syrup I’ve used before for my Spiced Apple Cider Moscow Mule, and finished off with seasonal fruits.
The recipe itself is super simple. You make the simple syrup, then add everything to a pitcher and leave to cool. I opted to use fresh, seasonal fruits for this sangria, using green apple, blood orange, cranberries and pomegranates.
While this isn’t necessarily a Christmas only recipe, I made it a little more Christmasy for the holiday season! I also say that it is a winter sangria, but as it’s chilled, I’d be so down drinking this on a hot day in the summer!
This would be the most beautiful recipe to have at your Christmas table, next dinner party, summer pot luck or any other special occasion that calls for wine! The simple syrup can be made ahead of time, but for best results and to avoid soggy fruit, make the day of the occasion!
Georgie x x
Easy Red Sangria Recipe
Spiced Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1/4 cup triple sec, or substitute for other orange flavored liquor like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 2 cups cranberry juice, no added sugar
- 1/2 cup spiced simple syrup
- 1 green apple, finely sliced
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- optional – rosemary and extra cinnamon quills to serve
Spiced Simple Syrup
- Place the spiced simple syrup ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally- around 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and steep for 5 minutes to let the flavours infuse, then strain liquid into a smaller cup or bowl.
For the Red Wine Sangria
- Add the fruit to a large pitcher/jug.
- Add the red wine, cranberry juice, simple syrup and triple sec.
- Stir until combined, and cover. Refrigerate until cool and serve with a garnish of cinnamon and rosemary.
**Want to PIN this recipe for later? Click HERE to save the recipe to your favourite Cocktail Board on Pinterest. ***
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest! And subscribe to my YouTube channel to find fun recipe videos!