Light and fluffy blueberry kefir pancakes perfect for weekend brunching, Mother’s Day or when you’re in the mood for some pancakes with the extra health benefits!
This post was sponsored by Nancy’s Yogurt. As always my opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make THCK possible!
Why hello! Happy Saturday friends! I know this is not my usual posting schedule, BUT I have a very exciting recipe to share with you that I think you’re going to LOVE!
Blueberry Kefir Pancakes!
These kefir pancakes are OMG good like we tasted one and immediately rushed to make more because a) we were starving, and b) I don’t think I’ve ever made a pancake recipe that was this good! (not even kidding).
As you may know, Adam and I just got back last weekend from 4 days away. We had to go to San Fransisco to get new passports, and figured we’d make a road trip out of it!
We stopped in at Sonoma on the way (and bought wayyyyy too much wine), got our passports organised in SF, then immediately made a bee-line for Crater Lake which was nothing short of incredible. From there, more wine tasting before making our way back to Portland to see the Arch man!
While I love travelling and road tripping, I always eat way too much and tend to eat more unhealthy foods than I usually would when I would be at home.
So when we got back on Sunday, we decided that now the sun is shining and we’re feeling relaxed, recharged and motivated, we’re definitely going back to eating healthier and in moderation!
I love spending Saturday making coffee and breakfast, relaxing and hanging out with Archie and Adam. I don’t want to feel guilty when I’m treating myself to breakfast on the weekends, which is where these blueberry kefir pancakes come into play!
Nancy’s Organic Whole Milk Blueberry Kefir is packed with more than 56 billion live probiotic cultures per serving, with no added cane sugar and no GMO’s! I don’t know a whole heap about probiotics, but I do know that they are extremely good for you AND make you feel good, which is something I am totally happy to get onboard with! OH AND for my dairy free peeps, it’ also lactose free! Winning!
The blueberry kefir is so, SO creamy and tastes absolutely delicious by itself, but packed into a pancake, now we’re talking!
These blueberry kefir pancakes are everything you want in a pancake! They’re light and fluffy, actually taste like real blueberries (thanks to the blueberry kefir and real bluebs!), are quick and easy to make, actually stay together when you flip them and are just a little bit healthier for you for a guilt-free breakfast!
Quick Recipe Notes
Cooking the Pancakes
- Start with a medium to high heat.
- Melt 1/2 tbsp of butter in the pan, then wipe it out with a paper towel before starting to cook otherwise your first pancake will burn.
- Little bubbles appear when pancakes are ready to be flipped, depending on your stove and heat this could be anywhere between 3-5 minutes.
- Pancakes should be lightly browned on the outside. If you’re finding they are burning, turn the stove down to low-medium heat.
- Reapply a little bit of butter every second pancake to avoid sticking.
- Keep pancakes warm by placing each cooked pancake on a stack on a heatproof plate. Place in a 170F/75C oven.
These kefir pancakes would be great for general weekend breakfasts, or if you’re hosting a brunch party! If you’re looking to treat your Mum this Mother’s Day, these would be such a treat!
Great with coffee, great with an OJ, and great with a sneaky mimosa if you’re feeling it!
So happy Saturday, and I hope the sun is shining wherever you are!
Georgie x x
Blueberry Kefir Pancakes
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups Nancy's Organic Whole Milk Blueberry Kefir
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted, or sub vegan butter or coconut oil for non-dairy option
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add sugar and pinch of salt.
- Stir in blueberry kefir, the egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium to high heat. Add half a tablespoon of butter (or coconut oil) and melt. Once hot, use a paper towel to wipe out the butter. This will help prevent burning.
- Reduce heat to medium and add another half tablespoon of butter.
- Take about a 1/3 of a cup of pancake batter and place in the centre of your frying pan, spreading out to create a pancake that is around 5"/12cm in diameter.
- Top with about 4-5 fresh blueberries.
- Cook on one side, for around 3-4 minutes, or until bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip and repeat.
- Continue until pancake batter is finished. Every second pancake, reapply a small amount of butter to avoid sticking.
- To keep pancakes warm, heat oven to 170F/75C and stack each cooked pancake on a heatproof plate. Place in oven until you are ready to serve to guarantee toasty and warm pancakes!
- Serve with plain yogurt, extra blueberries and maple syrup.
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest!