Perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration, Taco Tuesday or tacos for everyday occasions! These easy steak tacos with chipotle crema are easy to make, fresh and SO flavourful! You won’t believe the flavour that comes from a homemade taco seasoning and the chipotle crema!
Yoo-hoo! Happy Thursday! Although should I be posting this on Tuesday for #tacotuesday?
Meh, I don’t care if it Tuesday, Sunday or Thursday these easy steak tacos are perfect alllll week round!
I am just a wee bit smitten about this recipe. I’ve been wanting to come up with an amazing taco recipe for Cinco de Mayo all month, and only JUST got around to actually making it, taking pics and getting it together!
Poor Adam. As my ‘blog/Instagram’ husband, he puts up with a lot of crap!
I told him I was making tacos and his face lit up! I told him I had to photograph said easy steak tacos and his faced totally dropped. He just looked at me sadly, knowing that it would take at least 30 minutes for him to be able to actually devour his dinner!
So lucky Adam, he was patient enough to wait just 5 minutes before he got a ‘taste tester’ pre-dinner taco snack. I figured I had enough for about 10 tacos, I was going to shoot about 5 of them, there was plenty of room for snack tacos all round!
These easy steak tacos are so delicious and easy to whip up, they’d be great for a Cinco de Mayo celebration, Mexican fiesta (with margs of course), an easy weeknight meal, or as a DIY taco bar (OMG! how amazing would that be? note to self, do a DIY taco bar ASAP).
The Low Down on These Easy Steak Tacos
Firstly, these steak tacos require a simple taco seasoning that is both delicious and quick! You’ll want to cut up your steak into thin strips before chucking it (not literally) into a bowl and using your hands to get down and dirty rubbing the taco seasoning into the steak.
Next, you’ll want to prepare all your garnishes! There is nothing worse than having everything cooked and ready to go, only to realise that you haven’t chopped your onions and jalapenos and that it’s basically a disaster. I kept the garnishes traditional and simple, just the way we had in Mexico.
The chipotle crema is the next step to take. This involves blending up a few chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with just a touch of lime, then mixing it with some natural yogurt.
Finally, you’ll be wanting to light up your corn tortillas (not to cause a house fire) but to get a nice char on the tortilla, ready to serve!
There really isn’t much else to this recipe! This easy steak taco recipe is:
- simple (duh’)
- flavourful (just because it’s simple, doesn’t mean it tastes bad)
- fresh (hello fresh herbs, onions and lime)
- quick to make (we’re talking under 30 minutes)
- great for a crowd (cos’ they’re…
- can’t stop at one, I wanna eat the whole thing, good! (you know it!).
Happy Taco…Thursday (?) doesn’t have the same type of ring but we’ll go with it! Hope you have an amazing weekend!
G x x
Easy Steak Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- 1 lbs flank steak note 1
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo + 1 tsp of the adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup natural yogurt/plain unflavoured yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 white onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 8 corn tortillas
- Finely slice steak and combine taco seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
- Add steak and mix together with hands until steak is coated
- Roughly chop the chipotle peppers (or blend in a blender until smooth with a teaspoon of yogurt). Combine with yogurt and lime. Season and taste. Adjust if required.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to high heat and add a dash of olive or grapeseed oil. Cook steak for 5-10 minutes, until steak is cooked through. You want to avoid overcooked chewy steak, so 5-7 minutes is usually enough, 10 if you want well-done steak pieces.
- At the same time, heat another skillet over medium to high heat and cook tortillas, one at a time for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add steak to tortilla, top with lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, queso fresca and white onion. Drizzle over some of the chipotle crema and serve.
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest!
He’s been going on walks while we’ve been at work. They sent us this pic! Clearly, he thinks he can walk himself independently!