These parmesan puff pastry cheese straws are an elegant appetizer that is so easy to serve up for a party. Fuss-free, little washing up required, your guests will love getting their hands on these beauties!
Well hello Friends! And happy Wednesday! Yes I know I haven’t been as consistent with the days I post this week, but that unfortunately cannot be helped! I have my parents visiting all the way from Australia, so want to make the most out of my time with them!
But that doesn’t mean you’re not getting recipes this month, it just means it’s a little less consistent than my usual Tuesday and Thursday posts! But what’s life like without a little excitement!
I have actually been toying with this idea for a long time now, because for some reason using puff pastry scares me, even though this is one of the easiest recipes you can make!
I love making pastry dishes, whether they are sweet or savoury – they are so much fun! I actually branched out yesterday and make my own pie crust to make something delicious for you all (hopefully appearing next week) and I realised how much easier it was than I originally thought!
Do you guys have those recipes that you’ve always wanted to make but have always thought it was a little scary, but then you make them and realise they are really easy?
So yesterday morning when I rolled out of bed and decided I was going to make these parmesan puff pastry cheese straws for the blog, I didn’t hesitate, rethink it or reconsider at all! And here we have it – a beautiful, delicate and easy appetizer that is great for entertaining!
I guarantee, your guests will LOVE it!
These are seriously so easy to make, and all you need is a couple of simple ingredients; cheese, puff pastry, paprika, and a little salt and pepper!
I got the original recipe instructions from The Kitchn because they have legit become my ‘go to’ website for when I need to make something I’m a little unsure about (aka no churn ice cream), and adapted the instructions and flavours to make it super simple and easy for you!
So there you have it – super easy, simple, elegant parmesan puff pastry cheese straws that you can whip up in a jiffy! Did I just Australian slang you? Jiffy = quickly!
I hope you guys have a wonderful Wednesday! I’ll be back with another post for you Friday that is actually PERFECT for the weekend!
Parmesan Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed see note 1
- 1.5 cups parmesan cheese, grated see note 2
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and layout parchment paper onto two baking trays
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese onto a large board. Sprinkle over 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and a crack of salt and pepper over cheese, mix with fingers.
- Lay puff pastry over cheese. Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and salt and pepper.
- Roll out puff pastry to 1/8 inch thick - this will press the cheese into the pastry.
- Fold pastry in half.
- Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and salt and pepper.
- Roll out again to 1/8 inch thick. Aim to make one side at least 10 inches long.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into strips, roughly 1 inch wide.
- Transfer to baking tray and twist into shape - take either end and twist in opposite direction to create a spiral. Straws should be about 1 inch apart from each other to allow for expansion.
- Chill for 10 minutes to an hour to set pastry shape.
- Bake 15 - 25 minutes in the oven, flipping over halfway.
- Cook until pastry is puffed and cheese is starting to go brown and crispy. Some may take longer than others to cook. They should be dry to touch and crispy.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly before serving.
- Serve warmed or store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Best eaten the same day they are baked.
Over to you
I struggle with appetizers for my guests! What is your go-to appetizer when you’re having a dinner party?
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on Pinterest!