This apple, pear and cranberry breakfast crisp is perfect for a wintery breakfast with feel good vibes! Need a quick, easy, and healthy(ish) dish for Christmas morning? This would be perfect to make for a crowd!
Why hello there! I feel like it’s been ages!
But we are back again and holy moly can’t believe it’s DECEMBER ALREADY!
Seriously, when did this happen?
I freaking love December though, it’s actually my favourite month of the year! A lot happens in December – we kick off with Adam’s birthday this week, he’s working BOOOO. Then it’s my all-time favourite holiday! Christmas!! Yay, who’s with me!? And then we kick off a brand new year! Wow!
This year has gone freakishly fast and I can’t wait to do a reflection at the end of the year to look back on everything we’ve done this year! Adam and I were talking about it the other night – this year has been a HUGE year for both of us!
But let’s quickly talk about a few things.
I missed my usual, ‘monthly musings’ last week, so I will update you shortly on what went on last month.
But, I also wanted to talk about Christmas!
This month, being my favourite month, I’m working on some exciting new recipes for you perfect for the Christmas holidays and New Year’s Eve and I am SO DAMN EXCITED!
I’d love to hear from you for any recipes that you’d love to see on THCK – do you want apps? desserts? salads or sides? or a go to ham recipe? I’m also planning a few posts on how to deal with the Christmas aftermath – aka ALLLLLL the leftover turkey you’ll have. And of course, I won’t forget some amazing New Year’s Eve recipes!
But for now, let’s quickly chat about last month!
- As you know, Archie was our newest addition to the fam in October! I can’t believe he’s been with us one month already! He is growing SO quickly, and is becoming to be the cutest, sweetest, little munchkin. The first couple of weeks were rather stressful for me. We dealt with separation anxiety when we left for work, the constant whining was just heart breaking. I also had a few days/nights alone with him while he was younger which was also stressful. Raising a puppy solo is hard! But we’ve found over the past few weeks he has really blossomed. Training has been going SO well – he’s really intelligent, however ridiculously distracted. He’s also developed a few bad habits, such as jumping, biting and humping (awks) which we are trying to nip sooner rather than later. But honestly, he is just the most beautiful little guy and we love him SO much!
- I made a few recipes over on the blog. I took some time from posting to focus on Archie, but I made this beautiful pizza, and finally invested in a slow cooker to make these epic spiced apple cider sliders which are perfect fall recipes!
- THCK started a new partnership with a local distillery, Eastside Distilling. I received a bottle of their Burnside bourbon and have so far made some awesome festive cocktails!
- I started watching Wentworth, aka the MOST binge worthy television show I’ve watched. It’s on Netflix, watch it, you won’t regret it!
- We hosted a friendsgiving over the holiday period. It was a huge success! I made baked brie, we did turkey and I dived into homemade cranberry sauce for the first time. I also made this pecan pie from Broma Bakery and FAR OUT! if there is a pecan pie you should try, this one is it! It was amazing.
- Adam and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary! We forgot it was our anniversary until 10am, but still managed coffee and a date night.
- We went to the snow! We took Archie up and he basically lost his shit and loved it! It was adorable. Can’t wait to take him hiking on snow trails when he is older.
- I read a really good book! If you like crime and mystery, read ‘The Last Mile‘. I forgot how much I love just curling up on the couch reading when it’s cold outside!
- We had some blogging wins! I had some of my first paid recipe contribution posts! it was awesome! Here is one of the recipes I wrote! You should try it, they are delicious!
- I did some Christmas planning, and got very, very excited!
I feel like this month was basically taking care of Archie! I looked back on my photos to see what we did, and every second one was of him! But I can’t help it, he is just too cute and amazing!
But enough about me and the doggo, let’s quickly talk about this apple, pear and cranberry breakfast crisp!
I realised there is a lack of breakfast recipes on THCK, which is shocking because breakfast is my favourtie meal of the day!
But when planning my Christmas content, I realised that there are no good Christmas breakfasts recipes out there!
I don’t know about you, but I can’t go without eating breakfast. Christmas is a tricky one though. You don’t want to over eat in the morning because then you’re full. You also don’t want to indulge too soon with sugar and heavy rich foods.
So I thought this apple, pear and cranberry breakfast crisp would be the PERFECT breakfast recipe for Christmas morning!
A light crisp made with using healthier ingredients, on a lightly stewed fruit back using seasonal fruits. This would be perfect to make for the whole fam, and a great way to start the day!
Serve with Greek yoghurt, and top with fresh fruit. This apple, pear and cranberry breakfast crisp is easy, quick, affordable and absolutely comforting and delicious! Um, can it get any better (short answer: no!)
Who’s with me! Let’s make Christmas breakfast together. And by together I mean virtually! And by virtually I really mean, make it, post it on instagram and tag us @thehomecookskitchen because I’d love to reshare!
Happy December everyone! Hope your month is filled with joy, Christmas carols, trees and decorations and family/friends and good vibes! ????✨❤
with love – G x x
Apple, Pear and Cranberry Breakfast Crisp
- 2 green apple peeled and diced
- 1 pear finely sliced
- 1.5 cups cranberries fresh
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp yoghurt adjust amount to liking
- fresh fruit use however much you like
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Place apple, pears, cranberries, cinnamon and maple syrup in a large bowl. Mix until fruit is covered in cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Place ingredients for crisp together in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spread fruit out into a baking dish.
- Top with almond meal/oat mixture - covering fruit as evenly as possible.
- Bake in oven 20-30 minutes, or until crisp topping starts to go golden brown and crunchy, and fruit is lightly bubbling.
Serve with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit
Are you a die hard Christmas fan? What’s your favourite healthy go to breakfast? Do you even eat breakfast on Christmas morning?
Afraid you’ll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on instagram, facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I’m loving on pinterest!
I can’t believe how much he is growing already! He is such a beautiful little boy! When he’s not being a little ????