This apple and pear crisp is perfect for a wintery breakfast with feel-good vibes! Made with healthier alternatives, fresh winter fruits and crunchy nuts and oats, this is a perfect healthier dish for a cold winter morning.
Why hello there! I feel like it's been ages!
But we are back again and holy moly can't believe it's DECEMBER ALREADY!
Seriously, when did this happen?
I freaking love December though, it's actually my favourite month of the year! A lot happens in December - we kick off with Adam's birthday this week, he's working BOOOO. Then it's my all-time favourite holiday! Christmas!! Yay, who's with me!? And then we kick off a brand new year! Wow!
This year has gone freakishly fast and I can't wait to do a reflection at the end of the year to look back on everything we've done this year! Adam and I were talking about it the other night - this year has been a HUGE year for both of us!
But let's quickly talk about a few things.
I missed my usual, 'monthly musings' last week, so I will update you shortly on what went on last month.
But, I also wanted to talk about Christmas!
This month is my favourite month. I'm working on some exciting new recipes for you perfect for the Christmas holidays and New Year's Eve and I am SO DAMN EXCITED!
I'd love to hear from you for any recipes that you'd love to see on THCK - do you want apps? desserts? salads or sides? or a go-to ham recipe? I'm also planning a few posts on how to deal with the Christmas aftermath - aka ALLLLLL the leftover turkey you'll have. And of course, I won't forget some amazing New Year's Eve recipes!
But for now, let's quickly chat about last month!
- As you know, Archie was our newest addition to the fam in October! I can't believe he's been with us one month already! He is growing SO quickly and is becoming to be the cutest, sweetest, little munchkin. The first couple of weeks were rather stressful for me. We dealt with separation anxiety when we left for work, the constant whining was just heartbreaking. I also had a few days/nights alone with him while he was younger which was also stressful. Raising a puppy solo is hard! But we've found over the past few weeks he has really blossomed. Training has been going SO well - he's really intelligent, however ridiculously distracted. He's also developed a few bad habits, such as jumping, biting and humping (awks) which we are trying to nip sooner rather than later. But honestly, he is just the most beautiful little guy and we love him SO much!
- I made a few recipes over on the blog. I took some time from posting to focus on Archie, but I made this beautiful pizza, and finally invested in a slow cooker to make these epic spiced apple cider sliders which are perfect fall recipes!
- THCK started a new partnership with a local distillery, Eastside Distilling. I received a bottle of their Burnside bourbon and have so far made some awesome festive cocktails!
- I started watching Wentworth, aka the MOST binge-worthy television show I've watched. It's on Netflix, watch it, you won't regret it!
- We hosted a Friendsgiving over the holiday period. It was a huge success! I made baked brie, we did turkey and I dived into homemade cranberry sauce for the first time. I also made this pecan pie from Broma Bakery and FAR OUT! if there is a pecan pie you should try, this one is it! It was amazing.
- Adam and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary! We forgot it was our anniversary until 10am, but still managed coffee and a date night.
- We went to the snow! We took Archie up and he basically lost his shit and loved it! It was adorable. Can't wait to take him hiking on snow trails when he is older.
- I read a really good book! If you like crime and mystery, read 'The Last Mile'. I forgot how much I love just curling up on the couch reading when it's cold outside!
- We had some blogging wins! I had some of my first paid recipe contribution posts! it was awesome! Here is one of the recipes I wrote! You should try it, they are delicious!
- I did some Christmas planning, and got very, very excited!
I feel like this month was basically taking care of Archie! I looked back at my photos to see what we did, and every second one was of him! But I can't help it, he is just too cute and amazing!
But enough about me and the doggo, let's quickly talk about this apple and pear crisp!
I realised there is a lack of breakfast recipes on THCK, which is shocking because breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!
But when planning my Christmas content, I realised that there are no good Christmas breakfasts recipes out there!
I don't know about you, but I can't go without eating breakfast. Christmas is a tricky one though. You don't want to overeat in the morning because then you're full. You also don't want to indulge too soon with sugar and heavy rich foods.
So I thought this apple and pear crisp would be the PERFECT breakfast recipe for Christmas morning!
A light crisp made with using healthier ingredients, on a lightly stewed fruit back using seasonal fruits. This would be perfect to make for the whole fam, and a great way to start the day!
Serve with Greek yoghurt, and top with fresh fruit. This apple and pear crisp is easy, quick, affordable and absolutely comforting and delicious! Um, can it get any better (short answer: no!)
Who's with me! Let's make Christmas breakfast together. And by together I mean virtually! And by virtually I really mean, make it, post it on Instagram and tag us @thehomecookskitchen because I'd love to reshare!
Happy December everyone! Hope your month is filled with joy, Christmas carols, trees and decorations and family/friends and good vibes! ????✨❤
with love - G x x
Apple and Pear Crisp
- 2 green apple peeled and diced
- 1 pear finely sliced
- 1 ½ cups cranberries fresh
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup almonds roughly chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt adjust amount to liking
- fresh fruit use however much you like
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Place apple, pears, cranberries, cinnamon and maple syrup in a large bowl. Mix until fruit is covered in cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Place ingredients for crisp together in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spread fruit out into a baking dish.
- Top with almond meal/oat mixture - covering fruit as evenly as possible.
- Bake in oven 20-30 minutes, or until crisp topping starts to go golden brown and crunchy, and fruit is lightly bubbling.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit
Are you a die-hard Christmas fan? What's your favourite healthy go to breakfast? Do you even eat breakfast on Christmas morning?
Afraid you'll miss a post? Subscribe today and receive updates on new posts, and bonus recipes and information! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook for food inspo and adventures, or see what I'm loving on Pinterest!
I can't believe how much he is growing already! He is such a beautiful little boy! When he's not being a little ????
That breakfast crisp looks amazing! Love that healthy crunchy topping! I love fruity oatmeal recipes for breakfast..It makes me feel so good to have a healthy hearty meal at the beginning of the day! Can't wait to try this :). Would love to see some pictures of Archie enjoying his first snow 🙂
oh there are SO many pics of Archie in the snow ha ha! he is so wriggling though half of them are out of focus! thanks for the lovely comment! i feel like anything oatmeal for breakfast is underrated!
Sam jennings says
Oh wow this looks amazing, on a cold winters day I cant imagine a better way to start the day than with a big warm bowl of this delicious goodness.
Yes you are SO right Sam! love oats for breakfast, making some now as i type 🙂
Hillary Harper says
OMG Archie is so adorable! Him and this breakfast crisp are two of the best things I've seen all day 🙂 Also, I love a good mystery book so I'll have to check that one out!
ha ha thank you! Archie definitely keeps us on our toes but he is such a cutie! yes the book is amazing, if you need another one, I'm also reading 'behind closed doors' at the moment!
Marlynn | UrbanBlissLife says
Ooh I love making berry crisps but always enjoy them for dessert. I've never thought about having them for breakfast - this is great! Love it!
Thanks Marlynn, I love oaty breakfasts and the fruit is SO good! it goes all soft and gooey and the cranberries just give enough bitterness!
Sounds like a lot has been going on in your life - new pup, gatherings with friends, new recipes. Sounds like a fulfilling life. I'm intrigued by the brownie pecan pie in particular - I love pecan pie and this is a delicious sounding variant. Your crisp sounds like a nice, festive breakfast! I like that you are using maple syrup, which has more minerals in it than sugar. Alternative sweeteners FTW!
Hi Meg! Life has def been very very busy lately! The brownie pecan pie OMG was amazing!!!!!! I love using a mixture of healthy and not so healthy recipes on THCK! sometimes it nice not to drown something in sugar!
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Hah! Dogs playing in their first snowfall is seriously the best. Happy anniversary and happy birthday to your hubby! Such exciting times for you Georgie!! Good luck with the rest of the year and I can't wait to see what else you have in store!
Thanks for your birthday/anniversary wishes 🙂 Archie freaking loved it, it was so funny! we need to get him a little coat though because he got really cold! can't believe there is less than a month of the year omg need to get hustling!
Erin @ Platings and Pairings says
Ooohhh! What a great idea to do a crisp for breakfast! This would definitely get me out of bed on the weekend!
mmmmm that and a fresh pot of coffee! winning combo!
Catherine @ Ten Thousand Hour Mama says
I adore cranberries but don't use them as often as I should. Thanks for this idea!
Yes! fresh cranberries are so good! we can't actually get them back at home so making the most of it while I can!
Milena | Craft Beering says
Looks incredible Goergie! I love breakfast food too and seasonal crisp bakes are a favorite way to break fast:) Pinned!
Thanks Milena! I really think breakfast crisps/crumbles are underrated!
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
Archie is such a cutie I can't even take it. He makes me want to get another dog so badly! And this crisp! Words are failing me. I love making breakfast on Christmas morning and this would be a perfect addition!
you should totally get another fur baby!! I'm sure Cookie would love a companion?! Thanks Kelsie, i was pretty chuffed with how it turned out! I really think Christmas breakfast is underrated!