This spicy lentil soup is a healthy, vegetable packed soup! It's super simple to make, requiring a handful of fresh ingredients and pantry staples. A warming, comforting meal for the winter. This recipe is one of my favourites!
Why Soups Are Great for Dinner Parties?
Although it's nearing summer time in Australia, I couldn't go past sharing one of my favourite lentil soup recipes with you before it gets too hot here! This is a seriously good, cozy, warm weather soup that is one repeat in my household over the winter.
I'm actually obsessed with making soups for dinner parties! They're so versatile, plus you can jazz them up with crusty bread and a cozy dessert (hello chocolate self-saucing pudding).
This is a great vegetarian option for a dinner party, and can be easily made vegan by omitting the Greek yogurt for serving!
Ingredients in this recipe:
- Mirepoix - a mirepoix is a fancy way of saying onion, carrot and celery. Mirepoix makes a basis for many soups, stews and casseroles and is an important step in adding flavour to your dishes.
- Dried Red Lentils - these make the base (or the oomph as I like to say) of this spicy lentil soup. You can find dried red lentils in most supermarkets.
- Aromatics - aka the spices, garlic and gingers. These bring the depth of flavour to the dish. This recipe uses fresh ginger, fresh garlic, garam masala and chili powder.
- Crushed tomatoes - diced tomatoes add flavour to this dish. I prefer using canned, diced tomatoes for this dish.
- Liquids - water is all you need for this recipe. You get the flavour from the spices.
How to Make this Recipe:
To make this recipe, you simply;
- Cook off the mirepoix in some olive oil
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in the red lentils.
- Add your liquids and tomatoes and stir.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick, stirring often to avoid the lentils sticking!
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt, crusty bread and some coriander/cilantro.
Follow the recipe card for more details and tips and tricks!
To serve this lentil soup, I love adding a good dollop of Greek Yogurt and some coriander/cilantro. The combination of the yogurt and coriander balance out the spiciness of the soup and cool it down a little bit.
I always serve soup with a loaf of crusty white bread as well with a slathering of butter!
To make this recipe vegan, simple omit the greek yogurt.
How to Store this Soup:
This soup will last for 1-2 days in the fridge in an air tight container. I usually have leftovers for the next day lunch.
This recipe heats up really well, simple place in a microwave proof bowl and heat for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
Is this soup healthy?
While I'm no nutritionist, yes I do believe this spicy lentil soup is healthy. It contains minimal processed ingredients, and is flavoured using spices and vegetables.
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, low in calories and are rich in iron and folate.
Why We Love this Recipe:
This soup is seriously healthy, and easy to make, requiring only a handful of fresh ingredients and pantry staples like canned tomatoes and red lentils! Whip up in under 30 minutes for a healthy, wholesome vegetarian dish.
If you love a bit of spice, you can't go past this super healthy, wholesome winter soup recipe!
Want More Veggie Soup Recipes? Try:
- Easy Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Carrot and Ginger Soup
- Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup - from It's Not Complicated Recipes
- Roast Tomatoes and Red Pepper Soup - from Recipe Pocket
- Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup - from Plant Based Folk
- Rocket and Broccoli Soup - from Another Food Blogger
- Tahini and Cauliflower Soup - from Jaime Eats
- Carrot and Lentil Soup - from Mrs Jones's Kitchen
- Vegetarian Tortellini Soup - from The Cooking Collective
- Tomato and Mix Bean Soup - from KJ's Food Journal
Spicy Lentil Soup
- 1 large saucepan (non-stick)
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Wooden Spoon or equivelant
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 celery stick diced
- 1 brown/yellow finely diced
- 2 garlic clove finely diced or minced
- ½ cup red lentils note 1
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 2 tsp ground garam masala
- 400 g 14.5 oz can diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt to serve
- 2 tsp coriander/cilantro roughly chopped (to serve)
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, carrot and celery and fry until onion is soft - about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spiced, garlic, ginger and lentils and stir until combined and fragrant 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add the tin of tomato and water and stir.
- Bring soup to the boil, then simmer on low-medium, uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until thick. Stir occasionally making sure it doesn't stick to the bottoms. Lentils can stick to the bottom if it's stirred.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt and coriander.
If you loved this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a comment and review! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic of your finished recipe and share it on our on our Instagram account using the hashtag #thehomecookskitchen or tagging me @thehomecookskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!